Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday, 3-23-11

Wednesday, 3-23-11

Today in Acting we spent all of class beating out the script. We didn't quite finish, but we made it to the end of Act 1 and Act 2 should go quickly on Friday.

Matt thinks that Jason has come to the barbecue with a preconceived notion of what's going to happen; at least as a plan B. I'm not sure that's true.

I think that Jason comes to the barbecue genuinely hoping his family can solve all his problems by welcoming him back. A naive hope? Oh god yes. But I think the more naive the hope, the better-sounding the crash when it gets shattered. And it does get shattered. Very quickly.

But even then, I don't think he knows there is no avoiding drastic action until the beat-change where Jack completely rejects the worth of Jason's becoming a shellback in Scene 2. When it's clear that even that will not buy his father's respect--and in fact it only increases Jack's hate-ridden fear of his own son--he decides that he must do something to try and rescue his family from their vicious cycle of denial and violence.

I think it's on the next page, when Irene suggests charades again, that he solidifies the idea for the sordid game of charades that ends the show. His objective for the entire play hasn't changed, but his tactics have drastically shifted. He still wants to be accepted by his family, to be seen as greater than the crime he has committed, to be redeemed--but instead of relying on his family to provide these things he has resolved to extract them by force. By charades, if necessary.

On Icons: Icons is proving to be... very difficult! But we'll see how the first round of presentations go tomorrow and Tuesday. I know I'll have something to show--I just don't know how mind-blowing it'll be. I'm trying to apply the Laban vocabulary to analyze the Icons' movements so that I can have certain key effort-qualities in mind when I get into each one.



On writing: I'm supposed to be finished with "Bare" by Friday at midnight. I haven't made much project in the last few days, but I believe I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment