Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Bi-Weekly Challenge

So I've been on Spring Break, hence the lack of updates with my Acting Journal. But I'm sitting in an airport in Vegas and thought I'd blog.

The next thing up in Acting is Play Projects. Each class chooses a play and then each student gets cast in a role; some of them often having to share their role with another student or two. Then it gets rehearsed and put together for presentation by the end of the semester. We're supposed to incorporate the work we did with Animal Projects (obviously, since we're supposed to be incorporating everything we've learned as we go along) and our class is keeping a Research Blog for the play as well.

"Pig" Research Blog




The play Matt chose for us is "Pig" by Tammy Ryan, which is about an extremely dysfunctional American family having a barbecue when their son suddenly returns from the Navy after 4 years of absence. Secrets, grudges, and past violences all emerge and return to wreck this family during the 5 scenes that occur consecutively with little break.

I believe I'll be playing Jason, the returning son, but it hasn't been made official yet.

Also, I want to briefly announce something I want to do this semester. I'm challenging myself to write a first draft of a new play every two weeks for the last 8 weeks of the semester. This is the Bi-Weekly Challenge. I'm currently working on "Bare," and after that I have a myriad of other ideas that I just really need to get onto paper. That's why I think this will be good for me. Giving me deadlines will make sure that I'm writing consistently and producing new stuff, and finishing what I start.

So we'll see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment