Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday, 1-18-11

Tuesday, 1-18-11

Tomorrow we have to bring in three things for explorations: a piece of food that our animal might eat (it only needs to approximate; it doesn’t need to literally be raw meat or krill or plankton), an object that our animal might use or play with, and more costume pieces. For the food, I think I’m going to bring in a bowl of cereal with milk and then try to eat it through a straw, approximating how the flamingo filters food in through its beak. The object, though, I’m unsure of. I could do something relating to their nesting (they make nests by piling dirt, but use them only for egg-laying so far as I know) but I don’t want to bring a bunch of dirt into the building. I think I’ll just bring in a scarf or other piece of clothing that I can manipulate with my feet to try and pile into a nest. We’ll see how that works.

As for my costume piece, I was in a panic because I didn't really have time to go out to a store this afternoon on top of my other homework. But I ended up being pretty resourceful and made a tail out of cardboard boxes, staples, a little duct tape, and a wire coat-hanger.

The wire hanger goes around my waist and then when I lean my torso forward the tail sticks out. I'm pretty proud of myself! At this point the major concern is simply to make myself aware of having a tail, not necessarily recreating the exact look of a flamingo's tail feathers. Having something there will force me to pay attention to the space I take up.

When I get a chance to go to Goodwill this weekend I'll look for pink shirts and pale pants and things to make wings out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment